Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A short word to the wise

This post is not about kayaks. It's not about my cats. It's not even about the wonders of living in California.

No, this is a short post reminding people that Names Are Not Unique. I mean that. No, really. In an online world, you must remember that the "Judy" you're getting an IM from may not be your buddy "Judy" from down the street.

Yesterday I got an IM confession from a coworker who had just confused another person with the same name in the organization with me. He was horribly embarassed. She had started the conversation totally expecting a work conversation, only to be greeted with "Hello My Little Pagan Minx!"

When I saw this, I cried I was laughing so hard. But you know, he's darn lucky she has a sense of humor too. That could have been grounds for harassment.

So, the moral of this story - which is not about kayaks, cats, or California - be _sure_ you know who your IM's are from, who your emails are going to, and what your audience might let out.

Signed,

the Little Pagan Minx

No comments: